Beer can chicken with potatoes

Today, I grilled for the first time of the season. I made beer-can chicken with potatoes. My beer can chicken recipe comes from Taming the Flame: Secrets for Hot-and-Quick Grilling and Low-and-Slow BBQ, but I have my own trick for cooking potatoes on the grill at the same time.

Quarter a mix of golden and red potatoes and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whole, peeled garlic cloves in a narrow aluminum pan.
Cover the potatoes with foil, poke holes in the foil with a fork, and set aside.

Spread light olive oil all over the chicken and rub with a dry barbecue spice rub, inside and out. Pour a little bit of beer out of your can of beer, add a few pinches of the rub to the can. Put the can of beer up the chicken's uh, cavity. You can use a beer can chicken stand to help prevent the chicken from falling over on the grill. Use a 12 ounce can, otherwise your chicken might not fit inside your grill with the cover on.


I used this rub, which I bought from Balducci's.


Put the foil pan with potatoes in between the two piles of coals on the lower grill. Put the chicken directly above the potatoes so the drippings drip down onto them. Cover and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. I use a digital meat thermometer so I can see the temperature without opening the lid and letting the heat out. It takes 60-90 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken. I also put the giblets on a cast iron pan for Max.


The finished chicken was falling-apart tender.


The cooked potatoes:


Here's all the chicken drippings that dripped onto the potatoes:


Max in anticipation of his giblets:


I think he enjoyed them!

9 comments:

  1. Very cool idea with the potatoes. I love beer can chicken, I just always forget to make it. Maybe tomorrow night. Thanks for the reminder and the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cruel post! I was drooling while looking at those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer can chicken stand

    I can't get it out of my head now and keep saying it over and over. But thanks for the link - I'm going to have to buy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so fabulous we might have to go back to charcoal! Must talk to the man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, seriously I'm drooling too! I've only made beer-can chicken once and it was AMAZING - thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left you an award on my blog. If you are into such things pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have made beer can chicken twice in the past month. It is so juicy and tender. I'll have to try the potato trick next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried your potato trick last night and threw in some thyme and rosemary. Your a genius, the potatoes were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks notsocrafty! I'm glad you enjoyed the potatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete